Monday, September 03, 2012

Watermarking Photos Tutorial

Hey!

One of my friends asked me to explain how I watermarked my photographs (particularly the Snow Day photographs) so I am going to write the steps that I follow.

What you need:
  1. Photoshop (I use CS4 but any version will do). GIMP is also a good alternative.
  2. PhotoScape
Steps:
  1. Create a folder for all the photos that you want to eventually upload to your blog/Facebook page. Copy the photo you want to use into this new folder. I do this so that I am not working with an original copy in case I mess it up.
  2. In Photoshop (or GIMP), create a 1024x100 transparent document. I use 1024 because the eventual photographs I am going to uploaded are resized to 1024x768. The 100 height is just preference. Tweak these as need be.
  3. Fill the background with whatever colour you wish to use and set the opacity to whatever level you prefer. I have opacity set to 40%.
  4. Save this as a .png. I'll refer to this image as textbackground.png
  5. Open Photoscape. Select the "Batch Editor" option and drag the photos from your folder into the white space at the top. If you have portrait photos, don't add them as textbackground.png is going to mess up. You will do the portrait photos after.
  6. Choose your resize options on the right hand side (mine are set to Reduce the longer length, Long 1024).
  7. Under object, select Photo 1 and navigate to textbackground.png. Place it where you'd like it by dragging it on the screen over the photo.
  8. Under Text 1, type:
    [D], [T]
    [S], [F], [I], [FL]
    [MODEL]
    to get the options that I have on the Snow Day photographs. This information is found under the EXIF button. You can change the font and other text properties in this box too. Place the EXIF data where you'd like it within the textbackground.png bounds.
  9. You can add extra text using Text 2 - 4. I used Text 2 for my blog URL, Text 3 for my name and Text 4 for "Photography" (I couldn't get my name and Photography to line up nicely in one text box so I separated them).
  10. Once you are done, you can preview how each photo will look by clicking on it in the white space. Remember that if you move any of the elements that you've placed it will change for all the photos.
  11. When you are done, click "Convert All". You can choose to output the photos in a new folder, amongst other properties. Make sure that the quality is set to 100%.
  12. Repeat this process for the portrait photos.
  13. Done :)
I hope that was explained clearly :) if any of the steps are unclear or if anyone has questions, feel free to leave me a comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment